While question-and-answer games have probably existed for a very long time, they were really made popular by the hugely successful “Trivial Pursuit” board game in the 1980s. Since then, there have been many TV trivia game shows, such as “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” and “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?” With the growing popularity of trivia games over the years, it’s hardly surprising that Bible Trivia games are widely played in the Christian community.
What Makes Trivia Games So Popular?
Trivia games appeal to different people for a variety of reasons.
Thrill of Getting the Right Answers
Many people get a thrill out of getting the right answers to obscure facts overlooked by others. We feel a sense of accomplishment and our confidence get lifted, and we become even more motivated in playing the game.
Expanding you Knowledge
As we play, we expand our knowledge in a known topic, or acquire new knowledge in a new subject matter. Either way, we learn something new each time we play trivia!
Interacting with People
Unless you are playing an online or app version of trivia, there will be other players. Extroverts naturally enjoy the interaction, but conversations flow even naturally with introverts through the shared experience.
TV Trivia Games
Watching Trivia games on television has its unique appeal. Some enjoy guessing the answers along with the contestants; others simply enjoy picking up fun facts while watching the bantering between the host and contestants. For contestants, the novelty of appearing on TV (together with the bragging rights) is sufficient attraction, while others are motivated by the prizes.
Bible Trivia games are great entertainment. You can have fun with friends while challenging each other’s knowledge of the Bible, and you can learn more about the Bible at the same time.
But there are some pitfalls to watch out for. Not everyone is equally familiar with the Bible and pitting one player against another may be embarrassing and discouraging for some. There is also the danger of more knowledgeable players dominating the game. This is not to say that we should stop playing Bible Trivia altogether.
Bible Games Central has designed a unique version of Bible Trivia that overcomes these pitfalls. In this version of Bible Trivia, everyone has a chance to score points. For each question, there is one Answerer and one Asker, while the remaining players are Guessers who can score points by guessing if the answer given is right or wrong.
The game works like this:
- The Answerer rolls the dice to determine the question’s category:
- People & Places
- How Many
- Old Testament
- New Testament
- Answerer gets to choose
- The Asker (player on the left of the Answerer) draws the top card of that pile and reads the question aloud. If there are no remaining cards in that pile, the Answerer gets to choose any of the remaining categories.
- After the question is read, the Answerer indicates his/her answer by placing their token on either A, B, C or D on the Bible Trivia Board. Once the token is placed, Answerers cannot change their answer.
- The question then becomes open to all the Guessers. Guessers will indicate whether they agree or disagree with the Answerer by placing their tokens on either Agree or Disagree on the Bible Trivia Board. (To avoid confusion, each player should have a unique token.)
- The Asker reveals the correct answer after all Guessers have placed their tokens.
Points are awarded to all who answered or guessed correctly. In this way, the difference between the scores of the strongest and weakest players is narrowed, thus shifting the focus to fun and learning.
Whether at home or church, Bible Trivia is a great game to play on a regular basis. Playing regularly motivates everyone to read the Bible more, in order to increase their Bible knowledge and score better the next time round! So there is really no losers in a game of Bible Trivia.